Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The lessons of a ton of rice in Thailand

http://thediplomat.com/2012/11/10/rice-piles-how-thailand-lost-its-spot-as-worlds-top-rice-exporter/

This I figure is an interesting read. It deals with a government's attempts at price fixing, and how it has horribly went wrong.

I mean, there are many comments that can be made about this, mostly in the political field of view. My purpose here is not to make political posts, but perhaps bring a current event to the forefront of people's minds, and perhaps to ask "How could this have been avoided?" or "how could this have been done better?"

For my own input, I would like to say that this is a lesson that there are many facets that need to be taken into consideration in politics, and the nature of economics is one of the most important that is most sorely overlooked.

Beyond that, I think one should look at this very objectively. Not from their own perspective or beliefs, but rather very analytically to try and understand why this didn't work and how this could have been done better to ensure the desired results while also not harming others in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment